Thursday, October 05, 2006

Yes I have Been Reading

I realise I have been quite remiss in not mentioning what I have been reading over the last couple of months. So here is a brief list:

Why Men Hate Going to Church by David Murrow. Enjoyable in its observations about American church life. Particularly liked his observation about men warming to projects, with definable end-points, rather than processes. Church life is often process-oriented. However, his solutions betray his church-growth theology.

A Body of Divinity by Thomas Watson. Rock solid study of parts of the Westminster Catechism. Good for the soul.

The Last Things by Herman Bavinck. Survey of death, intermediate state, parousia, resurrection, hell, heaven. Interacts with premillenialist theology from an amil perspective. Good but hard work.

Charles Simeon of Cambridge by H E Hopkins. I really enjoyed this. Simeon is now officially one of my favourite historical figures for his godliness and commitment to the gospel. By no means an unflawed man, which makes this treatment even better.

Rooted in Faith by F G Healey. Written before the 300th anniversary of the Act of Uniformity in England in 1662, it traces out the appearance of non-conformity in the church in England. I was particularly interested in the role of presbyterians within the Church of England (surprise, surprise). Interesting up to and just after 1662. Therefter it declines into modern ecumenical nonsense which, frankly, is depressing.

The Art of Prophesying by William Perkins. Practical help on preaching. Good, though I have found more modern works more useful.

By Faith, Not By Sight by Richard Gaffin. This writer always makes me go, "Wow!" The book is the fruit of a day conference at Oakhill Theological College which I attended in 2004. At the time I went "wow", and I did it again as I read the book. He seeks to get an answer to the question, "What is the centre of Paul's theology." Worth working through carefully.

Technopoly by Neil Postman. I have heard this quoted from many times and have wanted to read it for a while. Written in 1992, Postman investigates the idea that we (i.e. western society) have become the servants of technology, not the other way round. Fascinating and thought provoking. If you are a culture watcher who wants to look a bit deeper, this is a must read.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]