Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Search Me

The Bible has much to say about idolatry. We have found it in 1 Corinthians 8-10 at SPC. It is a form of spiritual adultery, it is infidelity to God, it is a loss of one's true love.

We must not be deceived. It is not about bowing down to statues in a temple, having figurines on your mantlepiece or pictures on the wall, though it could involve those. It is about giving your heart to another. A person, a possession, an idea, an ambition, a feeling, a plan, nostalgia, a football team. Even a regret. Each can rule our hearts when on the face of it we submit to God.

Knowing your own heart is a difficult thing. We need God's help:
Search me, O God, and know my heart!
Try me and know my thoughts!
And see if there be any grievous way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting!

Psalm 139:23,24 (ESV)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]