Monday, February 11, 2008

Excursion to Monyhull

I had an excellent time at Monyhull Church last night.

Monyhull Church has been around for nearly 20 years and is one of the very few evangelical churches in the south of Birmingham. As a result its reach is pretty far, with members and attenders coming from far afield. They currently have a building on what used to be the site of a now-demolished hospital. Presently they have some 600 new homes around them. This instant community presents its own challenges and opportunities for outreach. They are actively encouraging any of their members who are considering moving house, to move into the area.

Colin Tamplin the pastor, whom I have been getting to know over the last few months, invited me to preach and say a few things about the work here at SPC. I am grateful to him and the other elders for letting me do so. For me it is a great privilege to be asked. For them, it is a great risk to hand the pulpit over to a new guy! I preached on the wisdom of God in the cross of Christ, from 1 Corinthians 1:18-31.

Generally, I have been so thankful for the support and encouragement I have received from other evangelical churches in the area as we plant here in Solihull. I get no sense of rivalry or suspicion. Everyone sees the need for this great historic city to hear and see the gospel of Jesus Christ through many more healthy, vibrant churches.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]