Saturday, June 25, 2005

The Co-op and Christians

Al draws our attention to this report about the Co-Op's decision to close the bank account of Christian Voice. CV's response is to be found here.

Personally, I am not a great fan of CV. I agree with their positions on all issues (I think - to be honest I have not checked every jot and tittle) but their tactics leave a lot to be desired. Nevertheless, whatever one's view of CV, this is a remarkably illiberal move by the Co-op Bank. Not only do they take a position themselves in regard to 'diversity', which they have a right to do I suppose, but they require their customers to agree with them or they will not do business with them.

In other words, they disagree with with what a segment of society says and they oppose its right to say it. Let's see where this kind of thinking takes our society in the coming days.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]