Thursday, February 16, 2006

Howdy!

It has been a week of varied experiences. Last weekend I wanted to go north to Scotland to see my folks. However, we were thwarted by a cam-belt pulley (whatever that is) which came off the engine while on the M6 near Manchester. The glorious RAC transported us back home in the early hours of Saturday. The car's condition was potentially very serious (so they told me). Turned out it was not and it cost me only 90 notes to get the problem fixed on Monday.

More seriously, on Tuesday a man at DFC died after a long illness. He was a fine Christian man, quiet yet faithful. He and his wife were a joy to visit. I think they were more encouraging to me than I was to them. I was taken aback when yesterday I was asked to take the funeral in just over a week's time. This will be a first time for me. I would value prayer.

Yesterday was also the start of the ETCW Residential. I have only two modules for which I needed to attend lectures. So I travelled down in the morning and returned after this morning's session. I enjoy these sessions as much for the fellowship of shared sufferings of study (!) as anything. It is good to meet the guys again.

I also had the privilege of preaching at the morning worship in the chapel. Preached on John 12:31,32 on the work of the Cross. I found there were surprising emotions. I enjoy preaching, but thinking of myself handling such subject matter feels a bit like looking at a child playing with matches. The child does not know the dangerous material he holds in his hands and that it needs to be treated with care. So to with the truth of God. Also, self always wants to live. Even when seeking to portray Christ in the glory of the cross, there is that dirty little voice inside saying, "look at me! look at me!" You preachers will know what I mean, I'm sure.

Anyway, best to finish with some words of the apostle Paul,
But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. Gal.6:14

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]