Monday, July 30, 2007

Goodbye Blogroll

I have decided to get rid of my blogroll (usually to the right and down) completely.

Over time the list of blogs that I read has been growing. Until recently I have been keeping track of them through Bloglines, and now after a recent change, Google Reader. My pattern of reading is not constant but varies with time. Many blogs I get interested in and read for a while but then I lose interest and don't. Some I read because of the mood I'm in. Some I read that I wouldn't recommend to others. (Don't ask!) More and more the list I keep on this blog does not reflect what I actually do and, to be honest, I can't be bothered updating that little list all the time.

Which got me thinking about the 'blogroll'. Why do I bother with it? Why does anyone bother with it? If a blog is good enough then I might link to it in a post. But it may be still good and not merit a mention. After all, I don't feel the need to go about telling everyone about what I read in the newspaper today. But that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it.

So from now on, what I read will remain a mystery, unless I link to it in a post. Then you can read it too and it really will be worth reading. Trust me.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]