Monday, September 17, 2007

Everything depends on God

I expect by now everyone (or two) of you who read this blog knows how to give the perfect man-hug and are getting fed up with the tutorial below.

Good. Lets move on...

We Dancers have actually moved house and are very much settled in. The removal guys were magnificent, our land lord is fine and friendly, the neighbours are good. Susan is getting into her new job and girlie-wirlie-daughter is making new friends at her new school.

My work really starts now. The plant has been treading water, I think, over the last few months. Having got to know the people who have been coming along a bit better, it has come home to me how difficult it is for people to form relationships, and especially ones that have the gospel at the centre. People's lives are busy, complicated and confusing. In the midst of this melee I continue to pray for 'A Few Good Men' who can handle the Truth.

It would be easy for me to get frustrated. There are things I would want to make happen. But I have to remember that the work required of and in people is only a work that God can do. Paul tells the Philippians to "work out your salvation with fear and trembling". Yet this exhortation cannot be separated from the fact that "it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose." (Phil. 2:12,13). While this reminds me that I can exhort others, I must pray that God be at work. Everything depends on God.

Some good things over the Summer:
  • A break in Devon with the family. Restful. Fun.

  • Reading Letham's The Holy Trinity. I realise now how much evangelicalism is missing in its neglect of this great subject. Difficult in places, but deeply refreshing.

  • Some amazing signs of God at work in some regulars at SPC. Amidst the grit of church-planting, some real gems.


Things to come:
  • Christianity Explored starts next week. But we need more people!

  • Midweek study/prayer/fellowship meeting has just started. This seems to be working well. It is good to study a few verses, pray, share our lives a little.

  • Second Anniversary Service - 7th October 2007, 10.30am. Nearly two years since the start. Really? I don't believe it!

I covet your prayers for God's glory to be known.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]