Thursday, June 03, 2004

A Sad Day



This is Mouse, another of our three cats. She is 15. I arrived back from Ayrshire on Tuesday at lunch time. She appeared later that evening. It was clear she was not well at all. She had been lively last week but now she was barely walking. I resolved to take her to the vet in the morning. Thinking she would bed down for the night and since she was in such a state it never occurred to me that she might go out again, so I didn't lock the cat flap.

In the morning she had gone. I looked for her in most of her usual haunts but she was not there. Finally today I posted notes through all the neighbours doors asking if she had been seen. It turned out this afternoon that a neighbour had found her and was feeding her but didn't know she was ours.

At the vet this evening I was told she had suffered kidney failure. There was nothing to be done. Tomorrow she will be put to sleep after Kate and Susan have said goodbye.

A sad day.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]